Wednesday 10 November 2010

The Most Frustrating Day Ever!

Well as you can probably guess, yesterday I had an exceedingly frustrating day!
Having made quite a good deal of progress on my Sunken Temple I decided it was high time I did a practice render of the lighting sequence to see where I was at in terms of how it looked and what needed altering.
Recently I acquired the newest version of Autodest Maya, 2011, on a student licence from the Autodest website. But on going to my render settings I found, to my dismay, no sign of the settings to render straight to video; and so I was forced to render out all 5000 frames individually.
PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS WHY THIS IS AND HOW TO FIX IT LET ME KNOW!!!!!!
Thankfully as this was merely a test run I rendered them in the lowest possible settings that I could use and still vaguely see the scene in. 160x120 20dpi I believe it was. Patheticly bad quality I know but I didnt need it to be good quality, just quick. This alone took 3 long hours to achieve but the worst was still to come.
For on rendering out each individual frame I realised that no program knew I had would render a video easily with 5000 imges. I tried Photoshop/Imageready, Premiere pro, and Flash but none of these would open 5000 files at once unsurprisingly. So then using Premiere I tried making it in little chunks, only to find it too nearly an hour to put together 200 frames and each frame lasted a lengthy 5 seconds!
Whilst this doesn’t sound much it’s out of the question for an animation frame which needs to be as close to 0 as possible. Then there was the task of pasting them together and trying to speed them up effectively.
After over 5 long hours of attempting this it was pointed out to me by my boyfriend that I did in fact have Windows Live Movie Maker (I didn’t realise they’d changed the name) which easily took all 5000 frames, let me adjust the time of all of the frames in one go instead of individually, and add music as if it were nothing....
To say the least I almost cried...
In the end I got the 3 and ½ min video up and running in under an hour, allowing me to spot where changes needed to be made and check my water effects so that I can finally continue with my work without guessing everything.
One thing this has taught me is that I will definitely need at LEAST a week, probably 2 to be safe, to render out my final piece in high quality, once more set dressing/animated bits/effects/camera movements are added.
All in all an utterly frustrating day, but with a happy ending.

And now I leave you with my terrible quality video which is so far still rather boring but should give you an idea of what I've been up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment