Monday 17 January 2011

Rigging Rolemodels


So tomorrow is the start of the second semester of my masters course and I’m eagerly awaiting the feedback for my first before I can move on to doing various awesome things this semester where I shall hopefully look into rigging and animating various things from people, animals and anything else I can think of/find the time for.
So far over the Christmas period I have been doing a lot of research into learning to better model and rig characters in Maya using the many amazing tutorials that can be found on the net, surprisingly mostly youtube.
I would definitely recommend the works of
These guys work are amazing and have helped me enormously!
Here are a few work-in-progress shots of what I’ve done so far (using my previous ‘marionette’ design as it seemed a good a choice as any). Still not quite sure on the design of the eyes overall... I liked how they looked on the first one overall.... they may get changed back before the end of this....




Also I learnt how to incorporate a ‘rubber hose’ effect as shown below. But for now I’m leaving it out of this model as it’s a bit messy and complicated and I doubt I’ll actually use it anyways.
But here's a shot of what it looked like done.

1 comment:

  1. The model is looking fantastic, Jen! I can already see so much character in here, even without it animated. So I'm sure it will look brilliant when it's fully rigged and moving. Don't forget to post a video of it on here when you're done :-D Would you say that you're moving away from art now and more towards modelling and animating? Or are you still looking at it as a pipeline process from concept art to final textured and rigged model?

    ReplyDelete